Edited by Adrian Kerton
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
STOKE-GIFFORD, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Henbury, county of Gloucester, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Bristol, containing 376 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Bristol, rated in the king’s books at £6, endowed with £275 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. John Silcocks, in 1741, bequeathed £200, directing the interest to be applied for teaching poor children of this parish and those of Almondsbury, Filton, and Winterbourne; and a school is supported, partly by this charity, and partly by the Dowager Duchess of Beaufort, in which twelve boys and twenty-four girls are educated.
Stoke Gifford Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Stoke Gifford is a village and parish in Clifton union, containing, by the census of 1861, 445 inhabitants, and in 1871, 430 inhabitants, and 2277 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Barton Regis, West Gloucestershire; near to the Patchway Station on the Bristol and South Wales Railway, 4 ½ miles north-west from Mangotsfield Station on the Midland Railway, 6 north from Bristol, 7 west from Chipping Sodbury, 16 north-west from Bath, and 115 from London. The vicarage in the incumbency of the Rev. Newman Tibbits, B.A., is valued at £60 per annum, and is in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, consisting of nave and aisle, with tower containing three bells. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by subscription and the children’s pence. The poor have charitable bequests producing £12 per annum.
Carpenter Miss Hannah
Trades and Professions
Andrews The Misses, farmers, Harry Stoke farm
Cam Francis, wheelwright, carpenter, and undertaker
Combes Alfred, shoemaker
Iles Thomas, blacksmith
Limbrick George, shopkeeper
Limbrick Richard, yeoman, Knight Wood farm
Nippruss Miss Jane, shopkeeper — Nippress ?
Parnell Alfred, farmer, Wall’s Court farm
Parker Joseph, yeoman, Court farm
Parker Thomas, yeoman, Cold Harbor farm
Parker William, beer retailer
Powell Grace, “Portcullis”
Wilcox Benjamin, yeoman, Little Stoke farm
Witchell Mrs. Mary, farmer
Witchell Sydney Bennett, farmer
Wall Letter Box – Cleared at 3. 30 p.m., and on Sundays at 8.45 a.m. Bristol is the post town, and Upper Stapleton the nearest money order office.
National School – Miss Griffiths, mistress