0009…South Gloucestershire Historic Environment Record 2

owlA History of STOKE GIFFORD & Nearby Parishes
Edited by Adrian Kerton

 

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment Record

Sites and Descriptions

419-411
South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
6518 Wallscourt Farm Stoke Gifford
Description
Farmhouse. 1855. George Godwin (editor of ;The Builder;), for the Duke of Beaufort. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate roof. Picturesque composition of gables and chimneys. Main elevation has 2 gables of 2 ½ storeys, 1 window alongside a 3 ½ storey tower; most windows are 2-light transom and mullion; left gable has a oriel above, right gable has a canted bay below and Beaufort arms above, there is a gabled and glazed porch below the tower which rises with single lights to a pyramidal roof with dormers capped by crestings. Similar gables and windows, some under drips on other elevations. The
whole crowned by an elaborate set of octagonal stacks. Interior retains contemporary plaster ceiling decoration, good staircase with carved finials and pendants, pierced balusters and a cusped niche on the landing. The door are strongly X and Y braced and all doors and shutters are reinforced with metal bands, as a precaution against threatened social unrest. {1} {2} The site is first mentioned in 1327.
The first part of the name appears in a variety of forms in the C14 and C15 but all derive from ‘the walls’ a protective wall of stone or earth probably banks built round the dwelling. Court is probably derived from ‘sciete’ corner of land (on the edge of a parish). {3}
Site Type Grid Reference
MODEL FARM 361828 178012

SMR Number Name
1331 Roman Settlement Hatchet Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
This site was excavated by Dr A. J. Parker as a Univ. of Bristol training dig in 1977.Parker refer to a hoard of 3000 coins found in 1880 (SGSMR11009). The latest finds from the excavation are of a similar date to the coins,C4.Period of occupation provisionally dated to mid C4. {1} Area re-developed by Bovis Homes Development and a small scale excavation in 1977 and 1978 revealed part of a Romano-British Settlement. Several structures, iron slag and bronze scrap found. Two inhumations were found cut into Roman structures {2} Evidence of Roman occupation at Stoke
Gifford has been found in the fields on the north western side of the village between Hatchet Lane and the railway, and probably extending into the fields on the east side of Hatchet Lane, extending as far northwards as Gipsy Patch Lane and Mead Lane, All this area was due to be developed for housing.
Parts of the area to the west of Hatchet Lane have been excavated, revealing floors of buildings, including a cowshed, a workshop and a barn. Pottery from the 2nd, 3rd and 4thCenturies has been found and in 1880 a hoard of 4th Century coins from a nearby brook. Faint traces of possible field boundaries and hut circles are visible on an air photo of the fields between Hatchet Lane and Mead
Lane together with two large concentric circles of unknown date and purpose. Presumably the Romano-British settlement was a small farming community, but some evidence has recently been found for the manufacture of pottery on the site as well {3} The excavation is recorded as SGSMR
12803. {4}
Site Type Grid Reference
SETTLEMENT 361701 180113
22 December 2003 Page 1 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
1332 Manor Stoke Gifford
Description
Manor of Stoke ;soon after the conquest this estate came to the possession of the family of Dispenser;…;& by marriage to Sir Richard Rodney;…;Sir John Rodney…built a great part of the mansion, the ruins of which yet app-ear;…;The old family seat stands mouldering near the church…;{1} Manor passed to Osbern Giffard at the conquest & from there to the Berkleys. {2} Perhaps located at Court Farm. {3}
Site Type Grid Reference
MANOR 362300 179700

SMR Number Name
1333 Marshalling Yard Bristol Parkway Station North Road Stoke Gifford
Description A large marshalling yard laid out at Stoke Gifford, opened in July 1903.{1}The marshalling yard was made into a major passenger platform at Parkway Station, in about 1973.{2} Opened may 1st 1972
Site Type Grid Reference
MARSHALLING YARD 362500 179560

SMR Number Name
1334 Shrunken Settlement Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford
Description
The Ordnance survey noted and recorded a mo at at Harry Stoke {1} further survey and documentary research showed that the a series of enclosures and other earthworks probably represented a manorial complex on both sides of the road. On the western side of the road, is a site described in1625 as `..one  messuage or tenement with appurtenances in Stoke Harris known as Kemis House with one barton and
garden to the same belonging, and. also one close of pasture called Kemis hayes. by estimation five acres..’ Kemis Hayes appears on a 1725 estate map, and in 1843, the site is a `house and garden,,’ and ‘the Stony Ground..’ {2}{3} Excavations by Bristol City Museum in 1986 revealed at lest one early post Medieval building and a walled yard area against the road on its west (SGSMR 12802) , and further work by A C Young for Avon County Council in 1987/8 revealed a complex of high status medieval buildings including a probable manor house and two dovecots. (SGSMR11033). A further area of
earthworks to the east of the road is recorded as SGSMR 11034.
Site Type Grid Reference
SHRUNKEN VILLAGE 362114 179122

SMR Number Name
1336 Pillow Mound Coldharbour Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
Possible pillow mound.{1} Sited in a field adjoining Coldharbour Lane, to the North of Stoke Park, now completely obliterated by landscaping for the polytechnic.{2}. This mound was clearly visible on the 1946 APs {3}
Site Type Grid Reference
PILLOW MOUND 362150 177770
22 December 2003 Page 2 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
1337 Manor House Dower House Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Stoke Park ;a noble pile exquisitely situated; is now a hospital. The original manor house built by the Berkeleys in the C16 was badly damaged in the civil war & was rebuilt by James Paty in about 1760 for Lord Botetourt, Governor of Virginia 1768-70. A castellated parapet & an early C19 porch was added later, the interior remains entirely classical. The Orangery of about 1700 is now a chapel. {1} {2} {3} {4}  A comprehensive building survey was carried out on the Dower House. Although the majority of the structure dates from the C18 phases of rebuilding by Thomas Wright (altered during the C20) a core of C16 fabric survives. The terrace on which the structure stands is almost entirely of C16 date.
{5} The List description for The Dower House can be found under SGSMR13597
Site Type Grid Reference
MANOR HOUSE 362242 177251

SMR Number Name
1346 Artefact Scatter Bristol and South Wales Railway Stoke Gifford
Description
In the museum of the Somerset Archaeol Soc. is an exhibit of ;coins, lance-head, & a piece of iron ore found at Stoke Gifford by the Rev E. J. Everard; {1} The objects from Stoke Gifford were located in the Somerset County Museum, they consist of the following: an Anglo Saxon scramasax (sword) and iron bell said to have been found with the coins of Burgred of Mercia, Aethelred & Alfred. Unfortunately no details of the circumstances of the find were recorded. The date of the reporting of the find fits
well with the date of the construction of the Bristol and South Wales 1858-63 and it is suggested that the Saxon material may have been recovered at this time. The site has been mapped on a section of the said railway but is only intended as a guide. {2}
Site Type Grid Reference
ARTEFACT SCATTER 361190 180104

SMR Number Name
2260 Coal Mine Filton Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
Short lived drift mine 1954-61 beside the Filton-Frenchay Road. Only remains are spoil heap (although disused shaft on OS 6; 1960) {1}{2}ST61897850. A pear shaped banked enclosure, maximum dimensions approx. 60mNE-SW x 50m NW-SE, with a footpath cutting through its N W
Site Type Grid Reference
COLLIERY 361900 178600
22 December 2003 Page 3 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
2713 Greenfields Farmhouse North Road Stoke Gifford
Description
C17 Farmhouse {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
FARMHOUSE 362515 179789

SMR Number Name
2779 House Platform (1) Great Stoke Stoke Gifford
Description
House platforms and depressions in field, with ridge and furrow to W. (for approximately 20 yds only).
Other similar earthworks were noted on opposite side of road (ST627801SGSMR 13102) in playground {1}{2} In field earthworks set back from road. The original road was wider, probably in form of street green. House platforms behind the bungalow. The field being developed (1984) and BAARG members have found evidence of medieval and later occupation. (SGSMR 13101) {3}
Site Type Grid Reference
HOUSE PLATFORM 362500 180070

SMR Number Name
3364 Medieval Deer Park Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
In the reign of Richard II there was a complaint against Maurice Berkeley for enclosing some common land within a park without a licence.{1}
Site Type Grid Reference
DEER PARK 362000 177000

SMR Number Name
4177 Brickworks Hambrook Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
OS map evidence shows that a brickworks was established in this area by 1902 when it was in the process of being linked to the railway by a branch line it was still in operation in 1915 but by the mid 1930s most of the original buildings had disappeared to be replaced by a depot. A number of later buildings dating from the 30s and 40s, together with more recent buildings stand on the site today (1999). It is possible that parts of the original structures survive although the rail link is now under a new road and should be investigated if the area is to be redeveloped. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
BRICKWORKS 362900 179700
22 December 2003 Page 4 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
4241 Registered Garden Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
C18 landscape park on C16 park on medieval site, by Thomas Wright for Norbone Berkely, Lord Botetort; formal gardens depicted 1712 by Kip, altered and extended by Wright 1749-1768 parkland laid out and improved by Berkeley and Wright 1740s-1780s; earlier coppices redesigned as ornamental woodland gardens with serpentine walks linked by stone tunnels by Wright 1749-1764, now overgrown. Many garden buildings by Wright ; Bladuds Cell, a root house (1749); Sands Gate Lodge
(1762, all gone; Duchess pond, a 3a ornamental lake (1768) infilled 1968 for M32 parkway. {1} Stoke Park is a landscape park dating back to the Jacobean period. It was landscaped by Thomas Wright in the 1760’s, with   woodlands and an artificial lake. The park is now bisected by the M32 motorway, and the lake has been drained. Stoke Park is an important landscape park by virtue of its rich historical background, and its association with Thomas Wright. The integrity of the site has been compromised
by C20 developments. Stoke Park is much neglected, and many individual features are in a very poor state.

{2} ;Bote Court; – very large park {3}{4}{5} Park of 140 Ha laid out by Thomas Wright in   the 1750s and 60s around a country house. The Dower House (II*), formerly Stoke Park Mansion, stands at the end of a narrow promontory, the land falling steeply to the south, west and east.  The site offers views eastwards along the Frome valley and south out over Bristol. The house, supported by a massive stone-revetted and balustraded terrace (II), was built by Sir Richard Berkeley in 1563.  It was remodelled 1760-64 by Norborne Berkeley, baron Botetourt (1718-1770), at least partly to the designs of Thomas Wright (1711-1786).  It was acquired by Harold Nelson Burden, in 1909, for use as
a hospital, and passed on to the National Health Service in 1948.  The Burden Tower Clock to the north of the house was built to his memory. To the north, a level platform, screened from the approach to the house by a wall (II), leads to the orangery (II) built for John Berkeley in the early eighteenth century.  Beyond this, an extensive complex of hospital buildings has been put up, in part on the site of the demolished stables. The main entrance to the estate is off Coldharbour Lane, which forms the eastern boundary of the site. Romney Avenue marks the original western boundary.  A track
follows the route of the carriage drive from Stapleton which led past a rustic lodge (demolished 1950s) and through the Duchess of Broomhill Gate, designed by Thomas Wright (II).  A set of posts to the south west of the radio station marks the entrance of the southern carriage drive which originally led across the park.  The park lies to the west of the house, the wooded edge of the Purdown ridge forming its northern boundary.  John Symes Berkeley carried out some work on the park which his son, Norborne, continued in the 1740s.  However, the design is mainly the result of Thomas Wright’s
involvement in the 1750s and 60s, his association with the site con tinuing until his death in 1786.
Within the woods are traces of some of the ornaments Wright designed – the foundations of the Rotunda (1755-56); a monument (II) to the 4th Duke of Beaufort (d.1756) who married Lord Botetourt’s sister; the water feature in Barn Wood; the Tomb of the Horatii and Curiatii on the edge of the steep escarpment to the south of Pond Wood; tunnels and underpasses in Bard Wood and linking Long and Hermitage Woods; and the entrance gates on Park Road, Stapleton.  Scar Hill, a steep-sided spur to the west of the house, is crowned by an Obelisk (II).  Amongst Wright’s gardens, structures which have vanished include Bladud’s Temple in hermitage Wood, the site of which is marked by a planting of yews.  To the south of the park is a circular tower, now incorporated in Purdown Hospital, which was part of the castellated farm. The M32, constructed in the late 1960s,
cuts west-east through the southern part of the park.  Wright’s Duchess  Pond, dating from c.1750, was filled in as part of this work {6}
Site Type Grid Reference
GARDEN 362000 177000
22 December 2003 Page 5 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
4390 Anti Aircraft Battery Brickfields Mulgrove Farm Stoke Gifford
Description
Heavy anti-aircraft battery at Brickfields, Winterbourne.{1}
Site Type Grid Reference
ANTI AIRCRAFT 363429 180144
BATTERY

SMR Number Name
4418 Lime Kiln Hatchet Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
A lime kiln was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
LIME KILN 362050 180020

SMR Number Name
4520 Cockpit Stoke Park Coldharbour Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
;Cockpit (site of); {1} It is surrounded by tall trees, now an asphalt yard, situated south east of the school and chapel. {2}
Site Type Grid Reference
COCKPIT 362360 177300

SMR Number Name
5101 Patchway Railway Station (1885) Gipsy Patch Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
Opened 10.8.1885 originally named Patchway and Stoke Gifford renamed Patchway 27.10.1908
closed to goods 5.7.1965 and unstaffed from14.10.1968. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
RAILWAY STATION 361112 180912

SMR Number Name
5202 Settlement Stanley Farm Stoke Gifford
Description
No information after 1398 but a farm remains on the site and the name continues to the present day. Mentioned in 1276 in the Rotuli Hundredorum {2} In the Lay Subsidy Roll in 1327. {3} A quit claim dated 1398 refers to Richard Stanley, alias Richard Snake of Stanley and there is a charter of foeffment in the same year {4}
Site Type Grid Reference
SETTLEMENT 360943 177974
22 December 2003 Page 6 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
5203 Bee Boles Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford
Description
The presence of medieval apicullture, possibly in the form of bee boles is indicated by the name
Hunipyn (honey pens) in a  thirteenth century document {2} connecting it with land held in
Fromshawe. A field called Honey is shown on a 1725 map {3} and the same field is called Honey Pens
in 1843. {4} {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
BEE BOLE 362001 178675

SMR Number Name
5204 Medieval Deer Park Stoke Gifford
Description
In 1398 a commission was ordered to look into an insurrection ‘at Stoke within the lordship of
Winterbourne and Framton’ and that ‘Maurice Berkele has without licence from the King enclosed and
made a park of a parcel of land therein which divers lieges have had from time immemorial common
pasture…’ In 1464 reference is made to ‘the common watercourse at Whitelesyate under ‘Le Parke
Corner’. A field close to the church is called Park Furmed on 1725 estate map and on the 1843 estate
map The Park (No 8) and is described as pasture. It adjoins Court Farm (No 7) The shape of the park
cannot readily be defined as the railway marshalling yard has covered a large part of it {1} {2} {3} {4}
{5}
Site Type Grid Reference
PARK 362400 179600

SMR Number Name
5209 Cemetery Stoke Bridge Little Stoke Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
Documentary references to a field described in 1458 as ;a particular pasture next to Stonebrugge; and
called Burisplot and on an estate map of 1725 called Burial Plot, may indicate the presence of a
cemetery in this area. {1}{2}{3}
Site Type Grid Reference
CEMETERY 361810 180500
22 December 2003 Page 7 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
5257 Oval Enclosure Filton Road Stoke Gifford
Description
Long possible oval enclosure. Running north south on edge of photo. Old field boundaries (or drainage
lines) visible to the south of this. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
ENCLOSURE 362225 178540

SMR Number Name
5542 Almshouse Stoke Gifford
Description
;There is ample evidence in this book (Account Book of Post Law Relief 1657-1720) that there was
an almshouse for poor elderly folk, maintained by the church wardens (in Stoke Gifford). The
quarterly rent was 5/- and was payable to Richard Berkeley;. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
ALMSHOUSE 362300 179700

SMR Number Name
12486 Collection Pool Barn Wood Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Collecting pool.C1750, by Thomas Wright. Limestone. Remains of collecting pool or plunge pool in
the landscaped grounds of Stoke Park Dower House (q.v.), connected by a channel with the tunnel (q.v)
and part of an organised perambulation in the Park. Remains of three rubble containing walls, much
overgrown at the time of survey (July 1988) but clearly showing the outlines of a rectangular pool, the
most substantial wall to the east side; that to the south also contains an opening with steps into the
pool, the west side mainly disappeared. An item of little significance in isolation, but important as part
of a planned scheme. (Stewart Harding and David Lambert: Saving the Wizard’s Landscape , Country
Life, 14-4-88, pp 132-135). {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference
GARDEN FEATURE 362051 177370
22 December 2003 Page 8 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
12488 Tunnel Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Tunnel, probably a waterway. c1750, by Thomas Wright. Limestone. A vaulted tunnel with a barrier or weir at its north end, probably part of decorative waterway, connected with a collection pool (q.v) in the landscaped grounds of Stoke Park Dower House (q.v.) and part of an organised perambulation in the Park. Tunnel is c10 metres long, paved floor, 1.5m wider and 2 m ‘high, in regular limestone courses and shaped voussoir vault; an opening or skylight occurs at about mid-length. At the higher, east end is an upright flat slab forming a weir overflow, and the floor is paved in Pennant slabs. At both ends the stonework is rough, and may originally have been dressed fair. (Stewart Harding and David Lambert: ‘Saving the Wizard’s Landscape: Country Life, 14-4-88 pp 132-135).
Site Type Grid Reference
GARDEN FEATURE 362091 177365

SMR Number Name
12487 Garden Feature Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Tunnel connecting pedestrian ways, carried under carriage way. c1750, by Thomas Wright. Limestone.
A short pedestrian tunnel collecting footpaths forming part of an organised perambulation in the landscaped grounds of Stoke Park Dower House (q.v) limestone coursed vault with remains of vermiculated voussoirs and keystones to the facings, partly in situ and partly in remains on ground.
Considerably overgrown at the time of inspection (July 1988). The tunnel connects Hermitage Wood and Long Wood, a carriageway passing over the top. (Stewart Harding and David Lambert:  Saving the Wizard s Landscape, Country Life, 14-4-88, pp 132-135). {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference
GARDEN FEATURE 361770 177575

SMR Number Name
12265 Farm Buildings Stanley Farm Stoke Gifford
Description
Courtyard of model farm buildings. Circa. 1860. G. Godwin (editor of ;The Builder;), probably for the Duke of Beaufort. Rubble freestone dressings, hipped slate roofs. Courtyard of single storey sheds; front range has a central transverse gable entry of 1 very tall storey, its 2 centered arch with quoins rises above the ridge of the flanking ranges which have trefoils on either side of buttresses decorated with sunken cusped panels. Other three ranges are plainer, internal openings are simple.
Site Type Grid Reference
MODEL FARM 360947 178012

SMR Number Name
13593 Stanley Farm Stoke Gifford
Description
Farmhouse. c.1860. G. Godwin (editor of ;The Builder;), probably for the Duke of Beaufort. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roof, raised coped verges with saddlestones and cast iron crestings. Picturesque composition of gables dormer and tower. 2 storeys, most windows are 2- and 3-light mullion and transom under drips; main elevation dominated by protruding tower over porch with quatrefoil over Tudor arch doorway with drip, 2 ½ storeys in gable to left with canted bay below; return elevation has 2 expressed chimneys which rise with octagonal stacks. C20 flat roof single storey
extension at rear. Built with adjoining model farm (q. v.). {1}
Site Type Grid Reference
DWELLING 360943 177974
22 December 2003 Page 9 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
11166 Obelisk Star Hill Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Obelisk. 1788. Plain Bath stone obelisk, now damaged. Erected to commemorate the restoration of George III’s reason. Situated on boundary between Northavon and Bristol and listed in Bristol (serial no. ST 67 NW 54/1564). {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference
COMMEMORATIVE 361797 177175
MONUMENT

SMR Number Name
11165 Monument Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Monument to 4th Duke of Beaufort, d1756; the monument in situ by 1764; designer Thomas Wright.
Limestone ashlar. Rectangular plinth with diagonal buttresses.  Carrying four rusticated  rocks  which in turn support a rectangular sarcophagus with diagonal  buttresses ; plinth has moulded offset base course and broad capping. The sarcophagus has a 3-part architrave carrying a frieze with a series of triglyphs, in which the glyphs are raised rather than incised, and a deep cavetto cornice. The frieze has a carved legend reading: FRATERNI DIGNUS AMORIS (Worthy of Brotherly Love). The monument, recently (1987) repaired and re-erected by the Avon Gardens Trust, was for long thought to commemorate a race horse. (Saving the Wizard s Landscape: Country Life; 14-4-88. Stewart
Harding and David Lambert). {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference
COMMEMORATIVE 362128 177368
MONUMENT

SMR Number Name
11164 Garden Wall Chapel Dower House Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Gatepier and garden wall. C18. Ashlar, rubble. Square rusticated pier 2 ½ metres high with moulded cap and ball finial; adjoining rubble wall with flat cap runs 80 metres south to Dower House.
Site Type Grid Reference
WALL 362266 177284

SMR Number Name
11163 Orangery (Chapel) Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Orangery, now chapel. Circa 1700. Ashlar hipped roof. Single room, single storey, 4 windows (now containing paired, pointed lights) and central door (now under round headed fanlight) all with architrave; central 3 bays break slightly forward with fluted Corinthian pilastrade, now very worn, end bays have alternating quoins, all under moulded cornice, and plain parapet bearing fading lettering which reads TRA— SUA QUES- -OLURTES. East and west end have round headed arches with blocked imposts and keystone, that at east is partially blocked and has a small stained window, that to west has double doors under a fanlight.
Site Type Grid Reference
ORANGERY 362298 177328
22 December 2003 Page 10 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
11162 Retaining Wall Terrace Dower House Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Retaining wall, terrace and balustrade. C16 – C17, extended in C19, Rubble, freestone. Heavily battered wall retaining artificial platform, rises about 6 meters, surmounted by wide moulded handrail on square balusters with moulded plinths and recessed panels, strapwork in spandrels, heavier newels have similar details and ball finials. Runs in front of house from south west corner and returns at east 100 metres to
orangery (q. v.). Balustrade is missing at south-west and for about half of the eastern terrace. The same form of wall is continued in large C19 extension 30 metres westward, it then returns 100 metres northwards, battered and of similar materials this wall has arrow slits and battlements. The buildings supporting this wall are not included.
Site Type Grid Reference
WALL 362275 177272

SMR Number Name
13597 Dower House Stoke Park Stoke Gifford
Description
Country House, now hospital. Circa 1760, may include elements of C16 manor house altered c1800.
James Paty, perhaps following Thomas Wright of Durham. Roughcast, coped and battlemented parapets. H-plan. South elevation, 3 storeys, 5 windows in centre, 3 in wings which terminate in canted bays, windows altered, mainly to glazing bar sashes, between wings, ground floor only comes forwards with glazed colonnade under pierced battlements, plat and cill bands between ground and first floor. Return elevation west has 6 very plain and altered bays, middle three recessed, ground floor retains 3 original glazing bar sashes under parapet. Return elevation east: 7 very plain bays, all glazing
bar sashes under keystones, plat and cill bands, battlements. North (entrance) elevation; as south with gothic porch of c1800, painted Berkeley motto ‘mihi vobisque’ and 2 C20 fire escapes. Interior: 3 rooms with plasterwork attributed to Thomas Stockin remain: east corner room has screen of Doric columns, entablature has masks, ox-skulls and trophies, the ceiling has a central feature of four Bacchanalion figures, around this, a band is crossed and surrounded by roses, this motif is expanded in the bay where there is an elaborate flower basket; the central, eastern room was formerly a music room, the delicate ceiling includes violin, pipes of Pan and a recorder; the south octagonal room has a complete suite of moulded and fielded panelled doors with eared architraves, shutters and reveals and a bolection moulded fire place with floral swags; the large cantilevered open well staircase has a heavily moulded handrail and thin turned balusters, early C19 plasterwork has Greek key roundel. Built for Norborne Berkeley, the house passed at his death in 1770 to the Beauforts and was the dower house to Badminton until 1907. (Atkyns, History of Gloucestershire, 1712: J. Jancar, Research at Stoke Park, 1981: D. Verey, Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean,
1970).{1}
Site Type Grid Reference
DWELLING 362231 177252

SMR Number Name
12273 Greenwood No 136 Rock Lane Stoke Gifford
Description
Cottage. C17, refaced C19. Roughcast, double Roman tile roof. Former cross passage, two units. 2 storeys, 2 windows, single storey lean-to extension at left; all windows 2-light C19 casements except at ground floor rear where there is a 2light ovolo-moulded mullioned window; C20 glaze gable porch at right; door in let extension. Interior: chamfered and stopped beams, segmental headed timber door frame, bread oven in altered inglenook, winder staircase.
Site Type Grid Reference
DWELLING 362768 180092
22 December 2003 Page 11 of 29

South Gloucestershire Historic Environment


SMR Number Name
12269 Vicarage No 24 North Road Stoke Gifford Description Vicarage. Circa 1865. Rubble brought to courses, quoins, freestone dressings, slate roof. Main block, set back north wing. Main block, 2 storeys, 3 windows all glazing bar sashes under gables, lower central gable is set back with shallow porch under flat hood; left gable has 2 windows below, one above, both under relieving arches; right gable has canted pitched bay below. North wing has 1 ½ storeys, 2 windows, a glazing bar sash below, pairs of 4-light sashes between mullions above rise as eaves dormers; inserted C20 garage door to left. Part of a major Beaufort estate development in picturesque tradition.. Listed primarily for group value with the church and other Beaufort buildings.
Site Type Grid Reference DWELLING 362222 179699

SMR Number Name
12268 Chest Tomb St Michael Stoke Gifford Description Chest tomb. Late C18. Freestone. Moulded slab on corner balusters, ends with plain lozenges, inscription on side panel in lozenges with paterae, moulded plinth. Robert Rhind, 1794.
Site Type Grid Reference TOMB 362269 179718

SMR Number Name
12267 Chest Tomb St Michael Stoke Gifford Description Chest tomb. Early – mid C19.. Freestone. Perpendicular decorations, cusped circles in frieze below moulded slab, side panels between cusped headed shafts, plinth – Turner 1833.
Site Type Grid Reference TOMB 362261 179717

SMR Number Name
12266 Chest Tomb St Michael Stoke Gifford Description Chest tomb. Late C18. Freestone. Flat slab with square edge, plain panels, cavetto base. Thomas Blandford, 1771. Fine lettering.
Site Type Grid Reference TOMB 362249 179717 22 December 2003 Page 12 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
1335 St Michael’s Church Stoke Gifford Description Anglican Parish church. C14, altered mid C18, restored 1894-7 by E. H. Lingen Barker. Rubble of 2 different colours brought to courses and alternately bonded in tower, freestone dressings, plain clay tile roofs, raised coped verges. Nave, chancel, south transept tower, north aisle, south aisle, north porch, south porch, nth vestry, all under separate gabled roofs. Nave of 3 bays, all late or post medieval 2- and 3-light windows with cusps except a segmental headed 2-light west window and a north window with two plain lights, there is a blocked south door with a round head. The chancel has a 3-light cusped east window under a drip and a south window of 2 pointed lights. The 3-stage south transept tower has diagonal buttresses to first stage, flat alternative quoins above; first stage has 2-light window with drip at south, pointed door at east is approached by steps. Second stage has a single light, vestigal chimney at east rises through this and third stage which has louvred, 2-light openings to bell chamber on all sides; 4 corner gargoyles below crocketed finials, battlemented parapet between. 2-bay north aisle has a restored 2-light Decorated east window, a single segmental headed west light and a 3-light north window next to the north porch with ogee-headed arch between crocketed finials and a crocketed pinnacle. North vestry has a segmental headed door with keystone at the east, a straight headed 2-light north window and a low stack at the east gable head. Interior: plain barrel vaulted nave and chancel, cross vaulted at sanctuary; 2-bay north aisle has square fluted piers and pilasters. Fittings: C12 plain scallop font with scratched dog tooth in north aisle wall; elegant Laudian rails with turned balusters, quadruple barley sugar newel, moulded rail; good plan and nail north door. Monuments: 21662, Berkley memorial, painted stone arms and other heraldic devices around two brass plates to Richard and Mary Berkeley; 1736, marble tablet, below broken pediment filled with arms between fluted Corinthian pilasters and above gadrooned cill and apron with putti. North vestry was in C18 a private Beaufort room open to the chancel. (David Verey, Buildings of England : Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).1}St Michael’s dates from the C14.It was much altered in the C18.Most of the windows are perpendicular or later.{2} Stoke Gifford had priest at time of the Domesday Book, so probably church by that time also.{4}
Site Type Grid Reference CHURCH 362260 179706

SMR Number Name
12270 The Court The Green Stoke Gifford Description Farmhouse and attached cottage, now house. Dated 1862. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roofs with overhanging eaves. Main (south) block, set back (north wing Main block two storeys, 3 windows al under gables, centre recessed with shallow porch under flat hood, mainly glazing bar sashes; right gable has a 2-window ground floor bay, single window above and datestone above that; left gable has a pair of windows at ground floor below a relieving arch, above a single window below a stone bearing B(eaufort); single gable at rear. Attached cottage wing, 1 ½ storeys, 3 windows, all glazing bar sashes; adjacent to main block is a plain door, there is a window at ground floor with one in an eaves dormer above the 2 below, 1 above in full height gable. Part of a major Beaufort estate development in picturesque tradition.
Site Type Grid Reference DWELLING 362391 179722 22 December 2003 Page 13 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
12271 The Gables and Wayside The Green Stoke Gifford Description Pair of cottages. Dated 1863. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roofs. 2 storeys. 2 windows; a pair of central gables, flanked by lean-to  porches on chamfered shafts, project from main gabled block; windows all in central gables are transmullioned, diamond lattice casements, 3-light below, 2-lkight above; there are ornate barge boards to gables and porches and large central stacks; similar windows in end and rear gables. Part of a major Beaufort development in the picturesque tradition.
Site Type Grid Reference DWELLING 362334 179755

SMR Number Name
12272 St Michael’s School The Green Stoke Gifford Description School. Dated 1863. Rubble brought to courses, quoins, freestone dressings and stacks, slate and concrete tile roof. Main block and south cross wing. 1 and 1 1/2 storeys, 6 windows; gabled main block has 5 tall transmullioned windows and one large 9-light window in end gable under datestone; central, large ornate stack; gabled 1 1/2 storey cross wing has 3-light transmullioned window with diamond lattice casements, similar 2-light window above, both under relieving arches; above these are the Beaufort arms and then ornate barge boards and finial; lean-to porch to right has an elliptical opening and stands on a chamfered shaft; end gable and single storey rear wing have similar diamond lattice windows. Part of a major Beaufort estate development in the picturesque tradition.
Site Type Grid Reference DWELLING 362341 179784

SMR Number Name
9650 Lime and Mortar Works New Road Filton Stoke Gifford Description The 1935 OS plan of this area shows a Lime and Mortar works with a standing limekiln, fed by a track leading out into the field to the north, (presumably the source of the stone).{1} The site has been redeveloped, and all the standing buildings appear to have been demolished. {2}
Site Type Grid Reference LIME WORKS 361430 179014

SMR Number Name
9654 Settlement Little Stoke Description Little Stoke is recorded from at least 1560 {1}, but may be medieval in origin. Little Stoke Farm and at least two other buildings were recorded at this NGR in 1882 {2}. It had been built over by 1981.{3} Archaeological deposits and structures may have survived development.
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 361250 181430 22 December 2003 Page 14 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
9718 Pill Box Railway Bridge Gipsy Patch Lane Stoke Gifford Description Facing east on the top of the railway embankment. D-shaped with corners cut off, 2-gunloops in each face including rear. Entrance in SW corner in a small separate block similar ASMR9719. Concrete with integral brick facings. {1}{2}Very good condition but its prominent position may put it under threat. A pillbox noted by the defence of Britain Project at ST613 804 is probably this feature which is easily visible from road and rail. The DoB feature has been given the temporary PRN 13591. (Evans D R pres comm 28/11/00).
Site Type Grid Reference PILLBOX 361183 180546

SMR Number Name
9719 Pill Box Gipsy Patch Lane Stoke Gifford Description Set in the side of the embankment, square 2-iron gunloops in concrete surrounds an all sides. Concrete with integral brick facings. Entrance in an extra block on the south side projecting S and W to about half the width of the main block to the height of the base of the gun loop. Type 26 {1}{2}Superb condition well maintained, possibly under threat if adjacent building is redeveloped.
Site Type Grid Reference PILLBOX 361141 180573

SMR Number Name
9759 Desk Top Study Bristol Business Park Stoke Gifford Description Few features of archaeological significance have been identified in the study area Four boundary stones are recorded in the 17th & 18th centuries, and one is known to have survived until at least the 1930s.A bank of unknown origin has been identified on the eastern edge of the site. It appears to relate to further banks which lie outside the study area,. An area of 1.5 acres towards the north of the site was used as an army camp in the 1940s and concrete bases and other structures from the camp survive in the present north field. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362465 178414

SMR Number Name
9959 Anti Aircraft Battery Stoke Gifford Description Anti Aircraft Battery Noted in {1}. Exact location unknown.
Site Type Grid Reference ANTI AIRCRAFT 362000 179000 BATTERY 22 December 2003 Page 15 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
10115 Settlement Cold Harbour Farm Stoke Gifford Description A group of farm buildings here, which were destroyed during building in the 1980s possessed a name recorded in 1540. {1} It is not clear how old the buildings were, but the name and siting may imply medieval settlement. Most has probably been destroyed by recent construction, but elements of the site may remain
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 362420 178180

SMR Number Name
10280 Crop mark Great Stoke Stoke Gifford Description A small sub-circular vegetation mark, possibly reflecting the presence of an infilled pond is noted in {1}
Site Type Grid Reference POND 362290 180280

SMR Number Name
10317 Filton Cemetery Coldharbour Lane Stoke Gifford Description A cemetery is noted at this NGR. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference CEMETERY 362400 177900

SMR Number Name
10379 Desk Top Study New Road Filton Stoke Gifford Description Recommends that trial excavation should take place before development. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361500 179200

SMR Number Name
10494 Evaluation Bristol Business Park Abbey Wood Stoke Gifford Description Some 33 trenches were laid out in an attempt to cover the area of the proposed development, only one trench contained a feature of archaeological interest and this, a drain, was probably of fairly recent origin. Very small quantities of Roman and medieval pottery were recovered. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361400 178300 22 December 2003 Page 16 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
10573 Excavation Foxden Road Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford Description The report on this site was numbered as SGSMR 10749. {1} Prior to determination of planning application P95/1361 on land north of Foxden Road Harry Stoke a series of eight trenches were excavated by the Avon Archaeological unit during October 1995. The evaluation project recorded archaeologically significant remains of minor importance at the south eastern end of the application site. (trenches 7 and 8). These consisted in total of stone built drain, probably of early – modern origin, and two smaller gullies of early indeterminate date. Elsewhere on the site the evaluation revealed no evidence whatsoever of any substantive archaeological remains. {12}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361850 178900

SMR Number Name
10783 Evaluation Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description Archaeological Assessment of the area of Stoke Park lying within South Gloucestershire {1}{2}{3}{4}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361678 177238

SMR Number Name
11006 Evaluation Harry Stoke Road Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford Description An evaluation was carried out on this site in 1996 evidence for scattered prehistoric settlement was recovered. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362401 178901 22 December 2003 Page 17 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
11009 Roman Coin Hoard Hatchet Lane Stoke Gifford Description A large hoard of Roman coins in an urn was found…in 1880 on the bank of a brook near Filton (a tributary of the Frome). The coins which numbered over3,000, in addition to a large amount of barbarous radiates, were mainly of Constantine the great, with none earlier than Licinius or later than Constans1, and many of them were in mint condition. The find-spot lies close to an old road which joined the Ridgeway (the Roman road from Gloucester to Bristol) from the Roman Road From Caerwent to Bath {1}. A letter from W L Harris of 42 Gloucester Road North, Bristol states that Arther W Jones a life-long inhabitant of Filton, was told by his uncle, James Tiley (aged 17in 1880), who was present at the discovery that it was found on the bank of the Filton Brook on the southern edge of the field Tiley was then ploughing. The field was situated adjacent to and east of the trunk road from Gloucester to Bristol (the A 38). Tiley Kept some of the coins which later came into the possession of Mr Jones. {2} Hoard situated about 35 chains west north west from St. Michael’s Church and 12 chains north west from where the railway cuts the brook. the published position agrees with that given by the Object Name Book (from Hudd, source {3} and lies at the side of a tributary of Stoke Brook, for which ;Filton Brook; is perhaps an alternative name. This siting lies 2 miles from Pen Park Hold and not one mile as Nicholls says (source{1}), nor could the field adjoining it be said to be adjacent to the A38. Impossible to tell from the information given by Nicholls and Tiley whether the published site is correct. {4}{5}  The original Source {1} which presumably intended as a reference to an OS Map has been removed references {3}{4}{5} now appear to make sense. {6}  further references are to be found as {7}{8}{9}{10}.
Site Type Grid Reference FINDSPOT 361620 180030

SMR Number Name
11033 Evaluation Lime Kiln Close Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford Description Prior to development excavations by A C Young for Avon County Council in 1987/8 revealed a complex of high status medieval buildings including a probable manor house and two dovecotes at the earthworks north of Harry Stoke Village. The area of the earthworks was subsequently filled in and the area preserved under a car park. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362125 179107

SMR Number Name
11034 Shrunken Village Harry Stoke Lane Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford Description Earthworks west of Harry Stoke Lane were recorded in 1979 a survey of these noted that a further set of earthworks could be found to the east of the road, these are illustrated in {1} A part of these earthworks was excavated in 1996 as part of an evaluation exercise. {2}
Site Type Grid Reference SHRUNKEN VILLAGE 362283 179075 22 December 2003 Page 18 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
11130 Enclosure Pegasus Park Gipsy Patch Lane Stoke Gifford Description Although not clear a grouping of circular and horseshoe crop marks were noted on an aerial photograph {2}. They may form part of a settlement of Prehistoric date. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 360810 180990

SMR Number Name
11130 Enclosure Pegasus Park Gipsy Patch Lane Stoke Gifford Description Although not clear a grouping of circular and horseshoe crop marks were noted on an aerial photograph {2}. They may form part of a settlement of Prehistoric date. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 360810 180990

SMR Number Name
11131 Watching Brief Pegasus Park Gipsy Patch Lane Stoke Gifford Description A watching brief carried out during the excavation of four trial pits on this site in 1997 adjacent to a possible settlement site (SGSMR 11130) revealed no traces of archaeological deposits or structures. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 360910 180990

SMR Number Name
11179 Hospital Buildings Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description The conversion of Stoke Park House and the associated buildings into a hospital meant that a large number of additional buildings were built including a number of ;temporary; buildings constructed during WWII. At least some of these buildings are worth preservation. {1} A detailed report on the history of the C20 buildings can be found in {2}
Site Type Grid Reference HOSPITAL 362300 177500

SMR Number Name
12667 Military Camp Coldharbour Lane Stoke Gifford Description Military activity occupied the north field (DTS SGSMR 9759). The early post war Provisional map shows numerous buildings, apparently a small military camp in the northern half and the concrete bases of these were to be seen at the time of the survey. Not shown is the the solitary brick wall alongside the southern hedgerow, a feature interpreted as being the remains of an assault course. Also probably associated with the camp were a tank (ST6239 7853) rectangular, about 9m x 6m and a filter bed (623 7852) circular with a diameter of 6m. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference MILITARY CAMP 362520 178520 22 December 2003 Page 19 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
12792 Routunda Garden Feature Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description Excavations in 1987 exposed the base of a mid C18 rotunda, part of the elaborate landscaping of Stoke Park carried out from 1749 onwards by the eccentric polymath Thomas Wright (1711-86) for Norborne Berkely, Lord Botecourt. The Structure which was open sided with ten freestone columns supporting a domed roof, had been largely dismantled earlier this century and the site allowed to become overgrown. Excavation revealed that the circular foundation 6m in diameter and constructed of a mixture of white lias limestone and pennant sandstone, has been badly disturbed by robbing and root penetration. Most of the pennant sandstone floor slabs had been removed, although their arrangement could be reconstructed from impressions in the underlying mortar spread, The freestone superstructure had entirely vanished apart from a few loose fragments, although the footings for most of the columns could be identified. The few finds included stone tiles from the roof, structural iron ties and the base of an C18 bowl or teapot mortared into the foundations. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference GARDEN FEATURE 361877 177314

SMR Number Name
12793 Excavation Rotunda Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description A rotunda, one of the garden feature constructed by Thomas Wright in Stoke Park during the C18 was excavated in 1987. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361873 177314

SMR Number Name
12802 Excavation Harry Stoke Stoke Gifford Description Trial excavations on the earthworks to the north of Harry Stoke were carried out in 1986. They revealed the remains of a boundary and stone wall were located in one trench and a substantial stone building was located in the other. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362184 179143

SMR Number Name
12803 Excavation Hatchet Lane Stoke Gifford Description ST617800A this site was excavated by Dr A. J. Parker as a Univ. of Bristol training dig in 1977.Parker refer to a hoard of 3000 coins found in 1880. The latest finds from the excavation are of a similar date to the coins,C4.Period of occupation provisionally dated to mid C4. {1} Area re-developed by Bovis Homes Development and a small scale excavation in 1977 and 1978 revealed part of a Romano-British Settlement. Several structures, iron slag and bronze scrap found. Two inhumations were found cut into Roman structures {2}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361615 180133 22 December 2003 Page 20 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
12825 Watching Brief Hatchet Lane Stoke Gifford Description A letter from A J Parker (Bristol University) to Northavon District Council indicates that a watching brief may have been carried out over the area indicated on the map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 361830 180090

SMR Number Name
13009 Settlement Stoke Gifford Description Approximate area of the settlement of Stoke Gifford by 1882, much of the area is covered by modern housing but some earlier buildings (including a number of listed structures) survive. The placename stoke or soke implies holdings by a bishop. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 362540 178830

SMR Number Name
13010 Settlement Great Stoke Description Approximate area of the settlement of Great Stoke by 1882, much of the area is covered by modern housing but some earlier buildings survive. The placename stoke or soke implies holdings by a bishop. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 362735 180386

SMR Number Name
13088 Evaluation Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A desk top study {1) A linear crop mark probably of natural origin was noted An evaluation was carried out in this area in 1999. A pit probably prehistoric in origin was located within the area excavated. {2}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 363160 179730

SMR Number Name
13089 Natural Feature Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A crop mark was noted during work on SGSMR 13088 subsequent trial excavation showed that it had a natural origin. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference NATURAL FEATURE 363090 179680 22 December 2003 Page 21 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
13089 Natural Feature Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A crop mark was noted during work on SGSMR 13088 subsequent trial excavation showed that it had a natural origin. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference NATURAL FEATURE 363090 179680

SMR Number Name
13089 Natural Feature Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A crop mark was noted during work on SGSMR 13088 subsequent trial excavation showed that it had a natural origin. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference NATURAL FEATURE 363090 179680

SMR Number Name
13089 Natural Feature Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A crop mark was noted during work on SGSMR 13088 subsequent trial excavation showed that it had a natural origin. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference NATURAL FEATURE 363090 179680

SMR Number Name
13101 Excavation Great Stoke Stoke Gifford Description Salvage excavations on a site due for redevelopment exposed a complex of walls of at least three phases (not all necessarily medieval). At the north end of the area a medieval floor surface associated with a small semi circular hearth was found. Above the floor was a layer containing much 13th – 14th century pottery. The most important find from this layer was a glazed ;louver;. There is now little doubt that the earthwork remains (SGSMR 2779) are a section of Stoke Gifford Village abandoned in the late medieval period. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362478 179965

SMR Number Name
13102 House Platform (2) Great Stoke Stoke Gifford Description Earthworks similar to those described as SGSMR 2779 were noted (probably in 1981 the original record could imply 1979) at this grid reference.  {1} I have assumed that the playground referred to in reference {1} is the open area slightly to the west of the grid reference and have mapped it
Site Type Grid Reference HOUSE PLATFORM 362697 180100 22 December 2003 Page 22 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
13861 Excavation Stoke Park Hospital Grounds Stoke Gifford Description A series of six trenches were excavated in order to find evidence for C18 buildings and garden features. Most of the area had been badly disturbed by the construction of C20 Hospital buildings but a buried soil possibly associated with the C18 oval garden was recorded. Archaeological potential is thought to be fairly low. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362353 177390

SMR Number Name
13889 Settlement Harry Stoke Description Approximate area of Medieval settlement as based on the area depicted as core settlement on the Avon Historic Landscape Survey. The site may have medieval origins. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 362102 178954

SMR Number Name
13930 Whittle House Gipsy Patch Lane Filton Stoke Gifford Description A new Headquarters for Bristol Siddeley Engines Limited was constructed in 192-64. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference FACTORY 360774 180645

SMR Number Name
13995 Prehistoric Hearth Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description A possible Iron age hearth was discovered during trial excavation in the grounds of Stoke Park Hospital {1}
Site Type Grid Reference HEARTH 361978 177550

SMR Number Name
13995 Prehistoric Hearth Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description A possible Iron age hearth was discovered during trial excavation in the grounds of Stoke Park Hospital {1}
Site Type Grid Reference HEARTH 361978 177550 22 December 2003 Page 23 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
13985 Excavation Ground Modelling Area Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description Six test pits were excavated, the work only established the depth of top soil and the nature of the underlying deposits. {1} A number of features possibly hearths or kilns together with possible field boundaries were recorded during a further series of works at Stoke Park. {2} Further archaeological work will be required but this will depend on which of a number of proposals for the area are taken up. Note many of the features described in these reports lie within the area of Bristol Council
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362259 177184

SMR Number Name
13951 Pill Box Stoke Gifford Description The Defence of Britain Project has noted a World War II Pillbox at this approximate location. It would appear probable that the structure referred to is that close to Patchway Station, in a prominent position on the railway embankment (SGSMR 9718}.
Site Type Grid Reference PILLBOX 361195 180429

SMR Number Name
13994 Clock Tower Stoke Park Hospital Stoke Gifford Description The clock Tower was erected in 1931 by the trustees of the institute in memory of its eponymous founder, Harold Nelson Burden , who had died in the previous year. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference CLOCK TOWER 362318 177407

SMR Number Name
14044 Prehistoric Feature Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A (prehistoric) pit was located during excavations at this site. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference PIT 363216 179837

SMR Number Name
14044 Prehistoric Feature Hambrook Lane Parkway North Stoke Gifford Description A (prehistoric) pit was located during excavations at this site. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference PIT 363216 179837 22 December 2003 Page 24 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
14037 Building Recording The Piggery Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description Two, small, modern buildings including a water tank piggery and possible abattoir were recorded prior to demolition. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362010 177356

SMR Number Name
14125 Watching Brief Swale Stoke Park Description A watching brief on a swale, an open storm water drain, revealed no points of interest within South Gloucestershire. Within Bristol an area of paving and two sections across the drive to Stoke Park were noted, as was an earlier approach line. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SITE 362173 177316

SMR Number Name
14277 Settlement Wallscourt Farm Stoke Gifford Description Approximate area of settlement noted in the Avon Historic Landscape Assessment. The settlement has medieval origins. {1} The site is first mentioned in 1327. The first part of the name appears in a variety of forms in the C14 and C15 but all derive from ‘the walls’ a protective wall of stone or earth probably banks built round the dwelling. Court is probably derived from ‘sciete’ corner of land (on the edge of a parish). {2}
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 361725 177984

SMR Number Name
14226 Cottage Barn Wood Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description A two roomed , ruined cottage was recorded during the recording of the listed structures in Stoke Park. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference DWELLING 361986 177342

SMR Number Name
14565 Churchyard St Michael Stoke Gifford Description Approximate extent of the area of the churchyard on the 1881 ordnance survey map Medieval origin perhaps earlier. A number of chest tombs within the churchyard are listed.{1}
Site Type Grid Reference CHURCHYARD 362260 179702 22 December 2003 Page 25 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
14285 Steps Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description A set of steps adjacent to the Stoke Park Development area, dated to 1911, are to be recorded prior to removal. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference STEPS 362391 177357

SMR Number Name
14607 Marl Pit Coldharbour Lane Stoke Gifford Description A marl pit is marked in this position on the OS map of 1881, the area is now (2002) covered by modern buildings. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference MARL PIT 362166 178293

SMR Number Name
15054 Outbuildings The Court The Green North Road Stoke Gifford rejected LB) Description The buildings have been assessed by English Heritage, which has commented that these farm buildings were probably built in the 1860’s, by the Beaufort estate.  The listed farmhouse, the Court, is dated 1862.  Comprising one of the farmsteads on the estate, they are built around a yard and apparently include ranges of cowsheds, a coach house, blacksmiths and accommodation for farm workers. In the photographs provided it is difficult to see whether this is a complete range of farm buildings, as would be expected in a planned farmstead of this period.  However, it is clear that the buildings have been altered and apparently there has been demolition and infilling in the yard and the buildings are said to have been converted into industrial units and offices.  English Heritage concluded that, for a planned farmstead of this period, these buildings has been much too altered to merit listing. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference OUTBUILDING 362377 179788

SMR Number Name
15059 War Memorial North Road Stoke Gifford Description A war memorial was noted at this location in 2002. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference WAR MEMORIAL 362275 179801

SMR Number Name
16191 Knightwood Farm Mead Road Great Stoke Stoke Gifford Description A farm and ancillary buildings was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map. It may have medieval origins. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference FARMSTEAD 362744 180412 22 December 2003 Page 26 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
16585 Bristol Parkway Railway Station North Road Stoke Gifford Description A large marshalling yard laid out at Stoke Gifford, opened in July 1903.{1}The marshalling yard was made into a major passenger platform as Parkway Station. {2} The station was opened im May 1972 and underwent a major rebuild in 2002-3, when a new reception area and parcels and good area was opened, the platforms were hardly affected by this rebuild. {3}
Site Type Grid Reference RAILWAY STATION 362406 179580

SMR Number Name
16586 Pound North Road Stoke Gifford Description A pound was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS Map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference POUND 362236 179801

SMR Number Name
16588 The Portcullis Inn North Road Stoke Gifford Description A public house, The Portcullis Inn, was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS Map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference PUBLIC HOUSE 362509 179873

SMR Number Name
16589 Quarry Hatchet Lane Stoke Gifford Description A small hollow, probably a quarry, associated with a lime kiln (SGSMR 4418) was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS Map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference QUARRY 362079 179976

SMR Number Name
16590 Chapel Stoke Park Stoke Gifford Description The chapel at Stoke park was later converted into a chapel. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference CHAPEL 362299 177327 22 December 2003 Page 27 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
16591 Settlement Model Farm Stanley Farm Stoke Gifford Description A model farm, an offshoot of Stanley Farm was established in the mid C19, extent of settlement as
Site Type Grid Reference SETTLEMENT 360956 177982

SMR Number Name
16592 Barn Coldharbour Lane Stoke Gifford Description A small building, in a close, probably a barn, was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference BARN 362009 177734

SMR Number Name
16598 Barn Hambrook Lane Stoke Gifford Description A small building, in a close, probably a barn, was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference BARN 362592 179366

SMR Number Name
16596 Barn (1) Watch Elm Farm Mead Lane Stoke Gifford Description A small building, in a close, probably a barn, was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map. They may be part of the former Watch Elm Farm which seems to have occupied this general area. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference BARN 362533 180569

SMR Number Name
16597 Barn (2) Watch Elm Farm Mead Lane Stoke Gifford Description A small building, in a close, probably a barn, was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map. They may be part of the former Watch Elm Farm which seems to have occupied this general area. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference BARN 362438 180558 22 December 2003 Page 28 of 29 South Gloucestershire Historic Environment

SMR Number Name
16593 Saw Pit Wallscourt Farm Stoke Gifford Description A saw pit was noted at this location on the 1st edition OS map. {1}
Site Type Grid Reference SAW PIT 361687 177948

SMR Number Name
16594 Branch Railway Brickworks Hambrook Lane Stoke Gifford Description A series of railway branches serving the brickworks were built between 1903 and the mid 1930s, there original direction appears to have been to the west perhaps associated with the construction of the railway and marshalling yards. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference RAILWAY 362927 179767

SMR Number Name
16595 Clay Pit Brickworks Hambrook Lane Stoke Gifford Description A series of clay pits in this area were excavated between 1902 and the mid 1930s. {1}{2}
Site Type Grid Reference CLAY PIT 362892 179769 The following sites in the trawl have special designations: SAM= Scheduled Ancient Monument; LB=Listed Building; RG=Historic Garden LHG=Local Historic Garden COA=Conservation Area LOC=Locally Listed Building RB=Registered Battlefield Name Morton Grange Gloucester Road Upper Morton Thornbury Record Number 2823 Status LB Grade II* 22 December 2003 Page 29 of 29   Copyright Adrian Kerton 2005 and copyright of the individuals who have donated information