HISTORY OF STOKE GIFFORD
Edited by Adrian Kerton
Harry Stoke Early Records
Ros Broomhead writes that Harry Stoke took its name from Harris de Filton who once owned it however there is no record of a Harris de Filton in the National Archive.
This extract of place names mentions Stoke Henri and it is interesting that Harry and Henry appear to be interchangeable, for example Prince Harry’s real name is Prince Henry. The following extracts appear to show the names Harris and Henry were interchangeable.
There were 3 manors in the parish of Stoke Gifford. The Giffards and Berkeleys held Stoke and Walls. Harry Stoke was a separate manor held by Aldred in Saxon times, Theobald in Norman times and the Blount and De Filton families in mediaeval times. The Berkeleys bought it in the l6th century.
Harry Stoke in the Domesday Book
Courtesy of domesdaymap.co.uk
Place: Harry Stoke
Total population: 9 households (quite small).
Total tax assessed: 2 exemption units (quite small).
Taxable units: Taxable value 2 exemption units. Taxed on 1.0.
Value: Value to lord in 1066 £2. Value to lord in 1086 £1.
Households: 2 villagers. 1 smallholder. 6 slaves.
Ploughland: 1 lord’s plough teams. 1 men’s plough teams.
Other resources: Meadow 5 acres.
Lord in 1066: Aldred brother of Odo.
Overlord in 1066: Earl Harold.
Lord in 1086: Theobald.
Tenant-in-chief in 1086: Bishop Geoffrey of Coutances.
Phillimore reference: 6,4
1086 Place name: Harry Stoke, Gloucestershire
Folio: 165r Great Domesday Book Domesday place name: Estoch
People mentioned: Abbey of St Mary of Glastonbury; Abbey of St Mary of Malmesbury; Abbey of St Mary of Worcester; Abbey of St Peter of Bath; Algar; Alweard, thegn of King Edward; Alwig, man of Earl Harold; Ansketil; Bernard; Burgess of Gloucester; Burgess of Winchcombe; Burgesses of Gloucester; Church of St Aethelberht, Hereford; Cuthwulf; Durand; Ealdraed; Ebbi, man of Beorhtric son of Aelfgar; Goismer; King Edward as lord; King Edward as monarch; King William as monarch; Morin; Oswulf; Ralph; Reginald; Robert; Roger; Schelin; Turstin fitzRolf; Walter, Bishop of Hereford; Wulfnoth; Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester
1304 Reference: DD\WHb/2543
Whereby John le White, of Bristol, conveys to Margaret widow of John Giffard, of Brymefeld, a mill and carucate of land in “Stoke Henr'”. Consideration money, twenty pounds. Dated, Oct. of F. of St. John Bapt. [1 July] 33 Edw. I .
Held by: Somerset Heritage Centre (South West Heritage Trust)
Note this is a record of a previously unknown mill at Harry Stoke.
Grant DD\WHb/2544 late 13th cent – early 14th cent
By Margaret Giffard, widow of Dom. John Giffard Knt. to John de Stok, son of Henry de Stok and Edith his wife, and William their son, of sixteen acres of arable land in Stok’ Henr [Stoke Harris in Stoke Gifford, Co. Glouc.], to hold for their lives at a penny rent.
Witn. Elyas de Filtone, John de Alcleye, John de Brokenburwe. Temp. Edw. I.
These documents are held at Somerset Archive and Record Service
1330 Description Petitioners: Ellis de Filton.
Name(s): de Filton, Ellis Addressees: King and council.
Nature of request:
Filton, who holds the manor of Stoke Harry in the franchise of the barton of Bristol of Umfraville, requests remedy because the King’s ministers came and wished to seize the franchise and distrain the tenants of Stoke Harry for amercements for breach of assize when the barton should only be amerced at the King’s court of the manor of Harry Stoke.
Nature of endorsement: The King’s bailiffs should be ordered to allow Filton to have the view or leet of his tenants and assizes of bread and ale as he and his ancestors are accustomed.
Places mentioned: Stoke Harry (Harry Stoke), [Gloucestershire]; barton of Bristol (Barton Regis), [Gloucestershire]; Bristol.
People mentioned: Henry de Oumfrevill (Umfraville).
Date derivation: Dated on the guard to c. 1330, with reference to Rudder’s History of Gloucestershire, p.699, which states that Filton held Harry Stoke in 4 Edward III (no reference given). Date 1330 Catalogue reference SC 8/263/13144
Was Henry de Oumfrevill the Henry of Stoke Henry? Did he size the place on behalf of the king?
The original record courtesy of the National Archive
1376 Of John Fitz-Nicholl.
1379 Moieties of the manors of Filton and Harry Stoke were inherited by Margery, first wife of Sir Thomas FitzNichol, and the FitzNichols leased the moieties in 1379-80 to Edmund Blount and his wife Margaret (for the lives of Thomas and Margery) at 16 marks a year. [CCR 1419-22, 158-9; CIPM xv, no. 303.]
These documents are held at Berkeley Castle Muniments
Note for a mark you could employ a craftsman for 66 days or buy a cow.
Gloucester ; and that by a fine levied in the king’s court at Westminster in the quinzaine of Trinity 3 Richard II before the then justices of the Common Bench between Edmund Blount, querent, and the said Thomas and Margery his wife (by name of Thomas Fitz Nichol, ‘ chivaler ‘), deforciants, touching the manors of Filton and Stokenhenry and the advowson of the church of Filton, the said Thomas and Margery acknowledged the said manors and advowson to be the right of Edmund and …
Calendar of the Close Rolls Preserved in the Public Record Officehttps://books.google.co.uk/books?id=b3omAQAAMAAJ
Great Britain. Public Record Office – 1934 – Snippet view
Thomas fitz Nichol, knight, to settle the manors of Hill and Nymphsfield, land and rent in Hill, and the advowson of the chantry in Kinley [in Nymphsfield] on himself and the heirs of his body, with successive remainders in tail male to John fitz Nichol,Richard fitz Nichol, and John de Berkeleye, knight, remainder to his own right heirs, retaining half the manors of Filton and Harris-Stoke [in Stoke Giffard]. Glouc.
Covering dates 7 RICHARD II. Date: 22 June 1383 – 21 June 1384
Reference: C 143/402/20 Records created, acquired, and inherited by Chancery, and also of the Wardrobe, Royal Household, Exchequer and various commissions Division within C Records of the Chancery as central secretariat C 143 Chancery: Inquisitions Ad Quod Damnum, Henry III to Richard III C 143/402 Inquisitions taken as a result of applications to the Crown for licences to alienate land. Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Stoke Gifford, Little Stoke, Harry Stoke. Stoke Gifford.
Court roll Including rental of land leased to tenants during minority of Maurice Berkeley [110.1.15]
BADMINTON MUNIMENTS Volume II Estate and Household. MANORIAL. BERKELEY FAMILY ESTATES. Gloucestershire: Court roll Including rental of land leased to tenants during minority of Maurice Berkeley [110.1.15]
Held by: Gloucestershire Archives Date: 1402 – 1412 Reference: D2700/MJ11/1/1
The manors of Filton and Harry Stoke are held of Lord Berkeley.
Court of Chancery: Six Clerks Office: Answers etc, before 1660. Pleadings in no alphabetical order. Details of this piece are shown at item level. Bill with mention of Elizabeth Bayley, late of Stoke Harry, Gloucestershire, widow, and her daughter Elizabeth Tomlinson, wife of Edmund Tomlinson.
Held by: The National Archives – Chancery, the Wardrobe, Royal Household, Exchequer and various commissions Date: 1501 – 1600 Reference: C 4/122/45
Covering dates 1580 – 1832
Held by Bristol Record Office
Extent 66 files
Source of acquisition Part of a solicitor’s collection deposited in the Bristol City Archives by Messrs. Osborne, Ward, Vassall, Abbot & Co., 41 Broad Street. 1957.
MANOR OF FILTON
According to Atkyns, Sir Thomas FitzNichols and Edward Blount were both seized of this manor, probably as co-heirs, temp. Ric.II. Thomas Mallet died seized of it in 22 Eliz.
It appears from Deed No.1. that Filton was sold after Mallet’s death to George Moreton, who on 1 October 1580 mortgaged the manors of Stoke Harris and Filton and in 1584 conveyed them, together with the advowson of Filton, to Roger Revell. Richard Revell sold the manor of Filton and the advowson to John Younge for £950 in 1609.
Bristol Record Office
Sir Maurice Berkeley v. Agnes Hedges, widow about ploughing up meadow and pasture in the Manor of Harry Stoke which she holds by lease from Richard Berkeley his father for her life (she is now 76)
These documents are held at Gloucestershire Archives
1 bdl [110.1.15, 18(misc), 21] D2700/QP5/7 1650-1651
Description Will of Elizabeth Baylie or Baily, Widow of Stoke Harris, Gloucestershire
Date 21 April 1629
Catalogue reference PROB 11/155links to the Catalogue
Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Series Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers
Piece Name of Register: Ridley Quire Numbers: 1 – 59
Image contains 1 will of many for the catalogue reference D2700/QP4/3/2 1659-1670
These documents are held at Gloucestershire Archives
Including inventory of goods in house occupied by William Wickham, Harry Stoke, 1659
[504 M14 31(21)]
1683 8th November
Part Inventory of Joan Palmer, Spinster, In Redy Money £12 0s 0d
All her waring apparel, woolling and lining praised at £3 0s 0d
On bed and boulster filled with feathers and flock praised at £1 0s 0d.
Certified copy mortgage (1653) and release and marriage settlement (1656) relating to Kemys house and various lands in Stoke Harris in Stoke Gifford (Glos.).
Parties: Berkeley, Vickris, Symes.
These documents are held at Wiltshire and Swindon Archives
Records of the Exchequer, and its related bodies, with those of the Office of First Fruits and Tenths, and the Court of Augmentations Division within E Records of the King’s Remembrancer E 134 Exchequer: King’s Remembrancer: Depositions taken by Commission Sub series within E 134 George I
Richard Bayley, Thomas Bayley, Thomas Simmons, Arthur Tucker, Charles Bayley. v. William Worrell, Matthew Knapp, John Berkeley.: Rectory of Winterborne, and the parishes of Winterborne and Stoke Gifford, in the county of Gloucester, and the hamlet or tithing of Stoke Harris alias Harry Stoke,”in the said parish of Stoke Gifford and tithing of Mangotsfield” (Gloucester). Metes and bounds. Tithes.: Bristol; Gloucester.
Covering dates 7 Geo 1 01 August 1720 – 31 July 1721
Held by The National Archives, Kew
William Cary, Rector of Winterbourne, v. John Berkeley and others, claiming that a moiety of the tithes of Harry Stoke hamlet belong to Winterbourne ‘where the inhabitants of Harry Stoke have buried their dead’ because Stoke Gifford churchyard was not consecrated until 1718. Berkeley argued that the tithes were not an endowment, but paid only for the burial facility, and have therefore ceased since the consecration of Stoke Gifford which is now used instead
Includes extract of endowment of vicarage of Stoke Gifford from the Bishop of Worcester’s register (1294), and 19th cent. translation; extract from same of the composition of tithes between the rector of Winterbourne and the Abbot of St. Augustine, Bristol (1280); copy [much of the doc. illegible] of the Abbot of Tewkesbury’s grant relating to a fee from the inhabitants of Stapleton, payable to St. James’s church, Bristol, for right of burial in Stapleton chapel (1438)
[Fd 2/10; Kb 2/4; Kd 2/2] These documents are held at Gloucestershire Archives 2 bdls ‘Stoke Gifford tithes’
Calendar of the correspondence of the Smyth family of Ashton Court, 1548-1642.
Silas Blandford’s draft survey and valuation of Stoke manor ‘showing how it is at present divided into the several farms or tenements with the names of the tenants occupying the same’, with additional notes by Blandford e.g. ‘the Poor House in Harry Stoke not included in the survey’ At end reversed: inventories of goods belonging to Norborne Berkeley in various farmhouses.
D2700/QP1/6 These documents are held at Gloucestershire Archives 1 vol.
NOTES ON ecclesiastical HISTORY Or HENBURY.
The evidence for this gift is mainly traditional, but the tradition is strengthened by the fact that Stoke Gifford Church, which seems to have been appendant at an early date to the Manor of Henbury, and is still in Henbury Hundred, eventually became a possession of the Priory of Little Malvern. If, it is probable, it was the Church of ” Stoke,” given by Wulfstan to the monks of Worcester in 1093, the gift had then taken no effect. It was subsequently held of the bishops of Worcester with the manor of Stoke Gifford by the Giffard family, until, on February 6th, 1291-2, john Giffard of Brimpsfield obtained royal letters patent empowering him to alienate the advowson in mortmain to the Prior and Convent of Little Malvern.