0136…St. Michael’s Church Events

owlHISTORY OF STOKE GIFFORD
Edited by Adrian Kerton

 

St. Michael’s Church Events

Stoke Gifford Church, which seems to have been appendant at an early date to the Manor of Henbury, and is still in Henbury Hundred, eventually became a possession of the Priory of Little Malvern. If, it is probable, it was the Church of ” Stoke,” given by Wulfstan to the monks of Worcester in 1093, the gift had then taken no effect. It was subsequently held of the bishops of Worcester with the manor of Stoke Gifford by the Giffard family, until, on February 6th, 1291-2, John Giffard of Brimpsfield obtained royal letters patent empowering him to alienate the advowson in mortmain to the Prior and Convent of Little Malvern.

Compiled by Mike Stanbrook

St_Michaels_Church_Events_20th_cent-750

Advertisements