HISTORY OF STOKE GIFFORD
Edited by Adrian Kerton
1652 Occupier List
List of Copyholders First Half of 17th Century (1630/40)
Compiled by Mike Stanbrook
Robert and Dorothy Lawford
William Mortimer –Tenant
This is a true copy of a particulars fo the yearly value of every mans lands in Stoke Gifford in ya county of Glous for:
20 Jan. 1652
Editors note. Copyhold was a form of land holding that existed between a lord of a manor and his tenants.
Defined as a “holding at the will of the lord according to the custom of the manor.” It originated in the occupation by villeins, [not freemen] of parcels of land belonging to the feudal lord ‘s manor. Over time it became an occupation by right, called villenagium, which was first recognised by custom and then became law. In 1926 all copyhold land became freehold land, usually without the mineral or sporting rights retained by the lord of the manor. The title deeds would be copies of parts of the court rolls of the manor. So it was title by copy of court roll and hence ‘copyhold’.