0330…Bradley Stoke & Interesting Sites

owlA History of STOKE GIFFORD & Nearby Parishes
Edited by Adrian Kerton

Bradley Stoke is a dormitory town to the north of Bristol. It is bounded by the parishes of Almondsbury, Patchway, Stoke Gifford and Winterbourne with it’s limits defined by the M4 and M5 motorways, the B4057 Winterbourne road and an irregular line to the west bordering Little Stoke and Stoke Lodge. The first turf was cut in 1986 and the first houses occupied in the Stean Bridge road area in 1987. The town was formed from the parishes above albeit the contribution from Winterbourne is minor an action still bitterly resented by residents of those parishes.

Note depending on your browser you can get a larger map  image by right clicking and follow the options.

Bradlley Stoke Almondsbury map combined

Patchway railway station. When the line was doubled the station was moved south to a spot where the tracks were level. This second station was opened on the 10th August 1885 as Patchway and Stoke Gifford but was renamed Patchway on the 27th October 1908.’
Taken from the Bristol Railway Archives

‘The first road to be made in Patchway, all the others evolved from tracks and lanes. The houses were built to house the railway company’s staff- the station master himself used to live at number 10. A pump in the road was the sole water supply when these houses were built. ‘
Taken from Patchway roundabout – John Agate

‘This is a quiet, almost rural, part of Patchway, despite being so close to the A38. Look out for the five pairs of semi detached houses on the east side of the road. these were built in 1901 by Mr. George Dowding, son of the local coal merchant. he also provided them with two water pumps which you will see as you walk part. George Dowding also built the red brick chapel, Patchway Gospel hall, close to express dairies on the A38.’
Taken from Patchway Greenway

The Grove
The original home to the railway workers cottages.
‘Mr. Cook Built this row of cottages for the use of railway workers round about 1890-1900. Half way down indicates the site of the communal pump. The occupants of the cottages also had access to a second well in the kitchen. ‘
Taken from John Agate -Patchway Roundabout

Callicroft lodge
Farm lodges – site of Callicroft lodge
Corner of A38 and parade of shops.
‘forms part of the farm of Callicroft. Previously called ‘Barton’s cottage on the
Patchway road. ‘ If we went up Callicroft lane at the top we came to the pond and the rick yard on the site of which is built the new social hall ( community centre). ‘
Taken from John Agate -Patchway Roundabout

Callicroft House, Rodway Road, Patchway, South Gloucestershire. BS34 5DQ
Original site of Callicroft farm and Callicroft lodge.

Bridge entrance A38
‘Along from st chads tin church… the next building is a cottage some 200 yards ahead on the sight of the amin road. This is Hall’s or turner’s cottage, i.e. the lodge at the end of the private farm track leading up to Hempton court farm.’
Taken from the Patchway roundabout John Agate

Outside the Black SHEEP PUB
120 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol, Avon, BS32 4TS
Covering lower Hempton farm, upper Hempton farm and Hempton farm. located in Aztec west.  ‘The farms no longer exist. Upper Hempton farm was a listed building dating back to 1657. Hempton gables has also disappeared. It was built by Mr. Shellard of Lower Hempton farm in 1928. He used the masonry from a demolished insurance office in Clare street. Two other buildings, ‘ Sunnyside’ and ‘The Portico’ ( neither now standing), were constructed in a similar fashion from the remains of Cleeve House, Downend which was demolished during the 1920’s.’
Taken from the Patchway Greenway.

Waterside drive
Aztec west car park near to the Environment agency – tree at Aztec west…. adjoining area. The tree marks the site of the original farmland for ‘turners farm’.

‘The meadow was once part of the parkland surrounding Over Court. The boundary wall lies next to Eagle drive and has recently been rebuilt by the Patchway conservation group. A Roman road lies beneath this area, hence its name. The pond in the corner with yellow flag iris and purple loosestrife in the summer.’
Taken from the Patchway Greenway.

Manor Farm has been known by a number of names, Patchway Farm being one of them despite being applied to other farms in the area. The farm is gone, but it survives in spirit in as much as some of the stones were used the created the bridge over the western end of the Bradley Stoke Nature Reserve lake. ‘The farmhouse has gone but the pond still remains. Much enhanced by the Patchway Conservation Group, it is a pleasant place to linger. Part of the old orchard also survives. The conservation group has also planted a new orchard area, using traditional varieties of fruit trees.’
Taken from the Patchway Greenway.

Tin Church
Corner of Elmgrove, Patchway. open green area at the front of house.
‘Two fields away from the school- on the same side of the main road- we come to the ‘tin church’ or the little green church.

This little tin church was the first of three churches dedicated to st Chad to be built in Patchway.
A photograph taken about 1920 shows the church to be very beautifully furnished. ‘
taken from ‘Patchway roundabout’
John Agate

Woodlands House
This large house stood on what is now the corner of Woodlands lane and woodland. IT was once occupied by a man called Armstrong, ad Aldermand of Thornbury and allegedly the inventor of Ribena ( he was a director of the firm of H W Carter.
‘an elderly resident of this area recalls that the occupier of the woodlands used to cultivate many fields of blackcurrants which she used to help pick.’
Taken from Patchway roundabout- John Agate

Woodlands Green
This small hamlet is known to have existed in the 12th Century. It consisted of three farms and their associated tied cottages. Around four or five houses pre dating the development of the business park still exists as does the duck pond. The pond probably dates from the 16th century and has been carefully preserved and restored.

The pond

Woodlands Pond

Woodlands Park
Was a military installation site during World War 2 and is now generally referred to as the mobile home site. It is a community of about 100 such homes although the majority of them have the appearance of well appointed small bungalows. Not all the residents favoured being re-allocated from Almondsbury parish to Bradley Stoke but over the years several residents have been elected to the Town Council.

Woodlands Grange
On the right of the lane stands a fine house in its own grounds. This is ‘Woodlands Grange’ built in 1908 by Mr. George Wilkins- a retired builder from Bristol.  It has a 61 ft long dining room to accommodate his 31 grandchildren at one sitting. He was a great benefactor to the church and school in Patchway and a churchwarden of St Paul’s in Bristol. Every summer he invited local children to a grand tea party and games in the grounds. Children would go again at Christmas to sing carols and receive a silver sixpence. The much extended Grange is now used as offices.

Ada’s Cottage
Originally three cottages, now this is the only original building to still be used as a family home.

Common West
‘ Nothing of architectural or archeological interest among the several cottages and three farms in this lane- which is the ‘high street’ of Patchway. ‘On the right hand side of the common was Mrs. Knight’s cottage which later became the butcher’s shop. Next door was the shoe mender Mr. Jefferies, on the left was Mr. Cooper’s where he sold bread, Mr. Robbins who worked for Lord of the Manor, Squire Lippincott of Over Court. Mr. Kingscott, a greengrocer carried the Mercury Mail from Bristol to Thornbury every morning in his house and cart. Then there is the gospel …’
taken from the Patchway roundabout – John Agate

Savages wood ins the youngest of the three nature reserve wood. Initially built for coppicing it was later preserved by the owner ( Mr. Davis of little stoke farm) as a nature reserve.

Webb’s Wood
The oldest of the three woods. This is shown not just by the relevant maps but by the number of wild flowers found there. Webb’s Wood dates from at least 1725 and was incorporated in Three Brooks Local Nature Reserve in 2005. Plants and wildlife flourish here and dense clumps of hazel coppicing indicate their poles were used for fencing and firewood, probably on a seven year cycle. Underneath is a 6ft diameter sewer constructed by Wessex Water to take waste from Bradley Stoke to Avonmouth, a by-product of which is Three Brooks Lake. Just north of the wood traces of medieval farm buildings have been found.

Sherbourne’s Brake
Sherbourne’s Brake is about 200 years old and completely protected by a tree preservation order. It was possibly planted as a hunting covert following the Enclosures Act. Turkey Oaks, introduced from Turkey during the 19th century, are the tallest trees with their spreading crowns resembling cauliflowers, but their timber is a disappointment for building purposes. Stoke Brook flows through the Brake to Three Brooks Lake. Partially quite old, the youngest section contains some large Turkey Oaks.
‘The reserve is named after the three brooks that run through it, Patchway, Hortham and Stoke Brooks, which converge into the Three Brooks lake – popular with local residents and with waterfowl. The reserve also contains three wooded areas – Savages Wood, Webb’s Wood and Sherbourne’s Brake – each with their own distinct character, and several areas of grassland and scrub. All of this is a vital haven for wildlife and plants in the middle of a densely populated housing estate.’
Taken from the three brooks way.

Copyright Adrian Kerton 2018 and copyright of the individuals who have donated information

Advertisements